The Demo

Demo was a long process, and we did it over a year ago (at the time of this writing) so I can’t recall exactly what order we did it in, but it went more or less like this…

Off went all the cabinet doors, and out went all the hunter green velvet panels. Whose idea were those anyway? Some of the stiles were removed as well, in preparation for changing the layout of the cabinet doors.

We tore out the convertible benches, leaving the structure on the left (which protects the water tank and heater). These were installed with a mixture of screws and staples. One thing to note (about this particular trailer at least) is that the furniture was attached to the walls from the outside. That’s right. Before the external skin was installed, they attached the furniture to the wall panels from outside of the trailer. This made for a much messier tear down than anticipated. Rather than just neatly pulled everything apart and removing it from the trailer, the majority of it had to be blasted off with a hammer, mallet, and pry bar. Which left screws and staples hanging out, and many, many holes to be patched. ESPECIALLY in the case of the console located at the very front of the trailer, attached to the convertible sofas. Yikes.

In the midst of all this, unable to wait ANY longer, we uninstalled the window coverings. Sayonara, green velvet valences.

uninstalling the window valences in our travel trailer turned tiny house remodel

Then we moved on to the banquette. I have no problem with banquettes, they’re actually a really smart use of space in an RV. But as you can see from the original pictures, the banquette in our trailer left us with an 24 inch landing strip in which to conduct daily life and use the kitchen. We aren’t Lilliputians, so that simply would not do. It’s hard enough to squeeze yourself, your spouse, and your medium to largish dog into a total living space of 150 square feet without literally having to sidle your way through the kitchen.

Then came the kitchen itself. We kept the main bulk of the cabinets intact, and demoed the drawer slides, because they were totally useless. The Fridge cabinet remained intact, so we could replace them with something a little more modern looking. We ripped out the counter/sink/faucet travesty, along with the hooks the previous owners had installed and the nasty permastuck insta-caulk stuck all around the counter and in the corner.